Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bubba's in the Kitchen: And we are making Curry Roasted Chickpeas-- contraband

I love Bubba's KidCo Go Pod from One Step Ahead. He got it from Grandma and Grandpa at Christmas. It folds up like one of those camping chairs, and takes up almost no room in the house rather than one of those big jumper toys. Bubba loves it cause he can hang with me in the kitchen practicing standing, while I cook, and even though this time I am cooking contraband, he is excited to watch. 



My husband loves crunch snacks. In an effort for us to lose the baby weight we have gained, we stopped buying chips. I have found several pretty good crunchy substitutions that make us miss chips less.

This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown's Roasted Chickpeas which were very good, but needed more of a kick.  The kick I decided to experiment with this time was curry powder.

Here's what you'll need:
1 lb dried chick peas (I'm told you can use the canned kind, too but dried are cheaper and not sitting in brine so you can control the amount of salt)
  2  tablespoons Olive oil
1/2 tablespoon Curry Powder
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

First put the dried chickpeas in a bowl and fill with water to the level of the chickpeas and soak overnight.

 Before

After soaking


The next day drain out any excess water from chickpeas.
Add the olive oil and the spice into a large bowl and mixed it around.



Add in chickpeas and toss them till evenly coated. I added a sprinkle or two more of all of the spices to the chickpeas since a little bit of the "sauce" sticks to the sides of the bowl.



Dump them out onto baking sheets, and spread out evenly.



Cook in a preheated oven at 375. Every 15 minutes pull them out and shake the pans up a bit so they brown evenly. Takes about an hour or so to get to nicely golden brown.



Salt to taste. Cool and store in an air tight container.  I would imagine they can be stored this way for a week or two but I have never been able to find out since they never have been around for more than a week in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment