Thursday, February 23, 2012

My baby needs a crash helmet!

 I remember when I was pregnant I got a copy of a One Step Ahead catalog and saw this baby crash helmet:


I thought, "How ridiculous! A crash helmet for babies".

Now that Bubba is learning to crawl and pull himself up on the furniture I can see the appeal.  He pulled himself up on the coffee table the other day and then conked his forehead on it.  My heart stopped.  I was right there, but not quick enough to stop him. I grabbed him and hugged him.  He recovered quicker than I did and was squirming to get away in a minute. I reluctantly let him go and made a pillow barricade just in time for his second attempt at scaling the table. He is a suicide machine!

As Bubba gets more independent it becomes clear that we I need to learn to let go in more ways than one.

A short while ago one of my best friends was over visiting for the afternoon and volunteered to stay with Bubba so my husband and I could go out.  At first I thought, "Really? I am actually going to leave him?"

It isn't that I don't trust her. I totally do. She is very capable, and has a wonderful 15 year old daughter who is proof of that.  Bubba and I just haven't been apart that much. I am attached to him, and he is to me.

Like I said, I need to learn to let go.

Before I could over think her offer, I accepted. And we left Bubba with his Auntie T and had a date night.  We went for sushi then wandered around for a half hour in the dollar store next door to the restaurant. We are party animals, I know.  Hey it's been over 7 months, we are not used to the freedom yet.  We were gone for less than two hours altogether. I held my breath as we walked into our building and approached our front door. It was quiet.

We open the door and Bubba was happily playing with his Auntie. I internally let out a sigh of relief. It was like we never left. He was completely unfazed. I don't know what I was so afraid of all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment