Monday, March 19, 2012

Corn fritters

My grandfather lived on the Eastern Shore in Maryland. He was a very good cook. His specialty was crab cakes, because his back yard dropped right off into the bay. He actually won a crab cooking contest in his town: The National Hard Crab Derby of Crisfield, Maryland. He was thrilled. He liked to brag that he beat out all those little old biddies in town. A man, and a yankee to boot! His recipe was even published in a cookbook. Blue Ribbon Family Favorites.

Now I didn't mean to get your hopes up about a crab cake recipe, because this is actually my corn fritter recipe. (I promise I'll do the crab cakes sometime. It is hard to get good Maryland Blue Crab in Illinois.)
My Grandfather also made really good corn fritters and for some reason I was thinking of them today. His recipe is based on a recipe from The Joy of Cooking (or as it is known in our family "The Chef's Bible") The last time he made them for me he was on a dill kick because he had a dill plant in his garden. The dill was quite good, but I happen to be on a chive kick lately so I substituted chives for dill.



Corn Fritters
(Adapted from The Joy of Cooking and my Grandpa Mal)

2 cups frozen corn (defrosted)
1 tablespoon milk
2 egg yolks beaten
3/8 cup flour
1 teaspoon chives 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

2 egg whitens beaten till stiff

Mix together all ingredients except egg whites, then fold them in to the batter at the end.



Drop heaping tablespoon into hot oil.


Flip when golden brown.


Set out to cool on paper towel (to absorb oil).

Enjoy!


Bubba sure did!






No comments:

Post a Comment