Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Yellow Bell Pepper and Potato Latkes

Remember how I said it didn't matter what I did before? Well it still doesn't but for the purpose of this story I will tell you.

Before Bubba was born I worked at a gemological laboratory in  the jewelry district in Chicago. I used to grade diamonds for certificates.  Every year, right before Chanukah, the Jewish Rabbis would come and set up a booth in the lobby of our building and cook the best potato latkes in the world!

Latke day was my favorite part of the holidays. Perhaps it was because you could smell them cooking all day as the aroma traveled up the elevator shaft, whatever it was they were the best. I really miss them. After several attempts I think I have finally gotten pretty close to their recipe!




Here it is:
1/4 onion
1 orange bell pepper
3 medium potatoes (I left the skin on)
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour

The bell pepper  is not in the Rabbis' latkes, but I had one lying around and couldn't resist.
First I chopped everything in my mini chopper.  The bell pepper makes quite a bit of juice, which I drained off.

Next combine the chopped onion, pepper and potatoes in a large bowl.


Add the eggs and flour and mix together.


Add about 3 tablespoons or so of olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium.  The oil should sizzle when you flick a little water into the pan. Scoop out a heaping tablespoonful and put in the pan, flattening it out a little.





Remove when browned on both sides and put on a plate with a paper towel to soak up excess oil while you cook the rest. (And try not to eat too many. I do this with pancakes too. I eat so many making them that when they are finished I am already full.)




Delicious! If you want to make them really authentic serve them with a side of sour cream and apple sauce.



Bubba, of course loves them. He loves all food! (We us plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream though, you'll never know the difference)






No comments:

Post a Comment