Monday, March 4, 2013

Apple Fritters

Yet another forgotten post from while we were living in Illinois. At the time I had been experimenting with fritters.

They freeze and reheat very well and are really nice to keep around for quick breakfasts. In the past, for the blog, I have made corn fritters, potato pancakes and potato latkes, all of which Bubba has loved so I though I would see what else I could turn into a fritter. The other day I cut up a part of a large baking apple for Bubba to have with his pancakes, but I didn't feel like eating it so I figured I would try a small experimental batch of apple fritters using the corn fritter recipe I have used in the past from Joy of Cooking. It was a success so today I decided to make a larger batch to have a couple to freeze.

Ingredients:
3 large baking apples (I used honey crisp)
(probably almost 3 cups when chopped up)
4 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons flour
generous sprinkle cinnamon
lighter sprinkle ground cloves, and ground nutmeg


 Chop the apples in to nice small cubes.


Add the eggs, sugar and flour, and mix through the chopped apples


I add the spices by look, so this is about what a generous sprinkle of cinnamon looks like. 
(the cloves and nutmeg are in there too)


Mix well.


When frying, put about two tablespoons (or how ever big your ladle is) into the hot oil and spread it out a little. Wait to flip it til you start to see a little brown around the edges, and try to resist the urge to peak, the apples are barely held together because there is really a minimum amount of batter. It also helps to flip them using two spatulas, one for the flipping and one to support the fritter as you gently flip it. 



Let cool on a paper towel and flip after a minute or two to get most of the oil off.



Bubba is obsessed with "big kid" or regular table spoons and insists on trying to eat with them any chance he gets. He ate some fritter, but not as much as the first time I made them, I had to cut him off then. Doesn't it figure, when you make a small batch he eats them all, and when you make a bunch, has decided he's tired of them ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment