Monday, March 25, 2013

Crock pot Chicken Enchilada Soup

Since the oven in our new house is broken I have been figuring out new recipes that don't involve it while we save for a nice new oven with flat top cooking surface. This is one of my new favorite crock pot meals I have discovered in the process.

1/2 cup medium salsa
3 cups chicken stock
2 frozen chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup corn
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 slices american cheese
Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese

Put two raw (frozen is ok) chicken breasts into a crock pot


In a sauce pan mix up the chicken stock, salsa, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and chili powder together bring to a simmer and pour it over the chicken. 
Cover and cook on low for several hours.


After several hours, the chicken should be ready to shred.


I just use two forks. After cooking for so long it practically falls apart.


Then add the enchilada sauce, beans, and corn.



I wait til the last hour of cooking to add the sour cream and american cheese, and turn up the crock pot to high heat, leaving the lid sightly ajar to allow the steam to escape.



I decided to make bisquick corn bread muffins to go with the soup. I have been talking about silicone baking pans for a while, and my friend bought me a couple for a housewarming gift so I decided to try them out. I am also still baking in the toaster oven, 
so the bake time may vary a little from normal ovens.

Here's what you'll need for the muffins:
2/3 cup bisquick
1/3 cup corn flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Mix everything together.



Pour in the baking pan (the recipe will fit in a standard muffin tin as well).


Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.


These things popped out of the tin so easily! And it is so simple to clean up. 
I hate how muffin tins are such a pain to scrub out, 
but these are so flexible it is no trouble at all.
I plan on replacing all of my muffin tins now :)
Thanks Tamara!


Serve the enchilada soup with shredded cheddar and sour cream to garnish.


Bubba has been a kind of picky eater lately, but tonight he kept watching us eat and picked at his chicken fingers and corn (the only meat or vegetable he has wanted to eat for the past month) so I offered him and spoon, and much to my surprise he loved it and asked for more. Maybe he'll start eating like he used to sooner than I thought. 











No comments:

Post a Comment