Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

It has been a busy summer! One of the distractions from blogging I have had is my garden. In May I stopped at a local farmer's green house selling tomato and pepper plants and even though I wasn't going to have a  bigger garden this year I bought a couple of plants. Who knew that 3 little tomato plants would make so many tomatoes! I don 't really even like tomatoes, except when they are in tomato sauce or salsa. One day a decided to try a recipe from one of my favorite movies, Fried Green Tomatoes. Only problem was I didn't have corn meal to make traditional "Southern" fried green tomatoes, so I decided to make them "Italian style" with parmesean and Italian bread crumbs. 


I was running low on bread crumbs, so I crushed up some stove top stuffing mix, 
and added some parmesan cheese.


The dipping station. Mixed bread crumbs, 2-3 eggs beaten, and flour.


First dip in the egg


Then the flour


Then the egg again


And finally the bread crumbs


Let sit aside in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour to let the bread crumbs set.


Fry in oil on medium heat til golden brown


Let cool  on paper towels to soak up excess oil.


Yum!


I made quite a few so I have gotten several meals out of this batch. First on the side of ravioli with tomato sauce, then for lunch in a fried green tomato BLT. 


Bubba has tried several of them and it always goes the same way every time. He take a bite, says "Yum!" then sometimes a second bite and then he throws it on the floor. I'm tempted to not give him another one, but he has been so picky lately I always try to give him any of our food he asks for in hopes he will eventually get back to his old eating habits where he ate anything and every thing.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all those pesky red tomatoes that keep showing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment