Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Dim Sum Inspired Quiche

Recently I was on the East Coast for my cousin's wedding and had the opportunity to go into New York City. My family lived in New York State when I was in junior high so we had several of our old stomping grounds to visit while we were there. Of course we had to go to Chinatown for Dim Sum for lunch and Little Italy to our favorite restaurant La Mela for dinner and Ferrara Bakery for dessert.
When I got back I was inspired to try something different with my normal quiche recipe. At the Dim Sum restaurant we went to 456 Shanghai Cuisine they had a dish they called a scallion pancake. It was a mix of a crepe/omelette with plenty of scallions and a shredded pork filling with a hint of sesame and teriyaki sauce.

Filling:
2 small chicken breasts
sesame oil
chili oil
1 teaspoon minced onions
1 cup water

cook these and after shredding chicken add:
2 tablespoons teriyaki
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1/8 cup fresh chives

Quiche base:
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
5 eggs

Sauce:
4 tablespoons teriyaki
1/2 teaspoon chili oil
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

First I cooked two small chicken breasts in the crock pot. I put them in frozen and added a bit of sesame oil, chili oil, teriyaki sauce, minced onions and about 1 cup of water. I cooked them on low for about 5 hours.


Next I shredded the chicken with a fork and mixed in about 2 tablespoons of teriyaki, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon of chili oil.


I picked a large bunch of chives from the garden and chopped up about 1/8 cup and added them to the mixture, along with 1 tablespoon or so of toasted sesame seeds.



For the quiche base I melted the butter on medium heat


Added the flour


And then the milk


I kept it on medium heat, whisking the whole time til it thickened. 
(a little less than a normal quiche base would, because there was less flour added)


Then I added the eggs and whisked them well. I also added a teaspoon of chili oil.


Then a lot more chives. Maybe another 1/8 cup.


I greased the pan with sesame oil and added 1/4 of the mixture.


Then the chicken


And finally the remainder of the quiche base. I put it in the oven at 325 for 1/2 hour. 


At that point I took it out, brushed on some more sesame oil and put it back in for another 20 minutes. The last 10 minutes I turned the heat up to 350 to brown it slightly. 
I mixed together a sauce to pour over the top. I microwaved it for about 40 seconds to let the brown sugar dissolve. 


Beautiful!


Bubba saw me take it out of the oven and insisted that it was cake. I told him it was not cake and
I gave him a piece but I was pretty sure how it would go.


Luckily for him I made some peanut butter banana bread muffins that day, so he could get his "cake" after all.



My husband and I thought it was delicious though. Just what I was going for. It had the essence of the scallion pancake and also reminded me a lot of egg foo young.



No comments:

Post a Comment